SEO, or search engine optimisation, is a complicated system of getting the search engines to notice you without getting them angry. While keyword densities are important, backlinks are just as important to any SEO campaign! Here we’re going to talk about how to use backlinks, what they are and why they’re important for bringing your business to the next level.
What are Backlinks?
Backlinks are any links from another site, hopefully a high PageRank site, that link back to your own website. The general saying is the more backlinks the better your PageRank becomes, but this isn’t always true. You want to aim for high ranking sites with relevant information pushing people to your site. Backlinks can come from forums, blogs, other websites who do small link exchanges, video sites like YouTube and daily motion, podcasts and article directories that allow you to do article marketing through them. These are just a handful of the ways you can backlink, but with research you can find even more!
How Backlinks Work
Backlinks work like this:
- You post a comment on a blog or forum for example, and post a relevant link to the current conversation.
- When Google crawls this website, it will see your link. It will analyse the page to see how relevant the link is to the conversation, and then it will crawl your site.
- Google analyses your own site to see what quality of content and links you have, and it will weight it compared with other links coming into your page and other links coming out from your page to see where you rank, known as PageRank.
- If your efforts are successful, you get a better PageRank for that keyword! If they fail, you fall further behind.
Why Backlinks are Important for SEO
You can’t build your SEO campaign on one method alone; anyone who tells you otherwise is being disingenuous. You need to spread your efforts evenly over different methods like diverse backlinking and advertising, but it’s a lot easier than it sounds! Backlinks are the building blocks of any good SEO effort, so you’ll want to focus on getting good backlinks as opposed to a lot of bad ones.
Getting Good Backlinks
Getting good backlinks comes down to a couple things:
- What is the PageRank of the site you’re using for backlinks? If they’re a high PageRank site, you’ll want to have high quality relevant comments and articles linking out (and good content on your end to back it up). If they’re a low PageRank site, you can have more generalised comments but you’ll still want to try and be relevant.
- How much are you devoting to a specific keyword? Never dedicate more than 25% of your efforts to a single keyword, or you might get banned or penalised by Google.
Backlinks are important, but use them wisely! If you’re posting on forums or blogs, don’t pester them with spam or you’ll just get banned altogether. Bring quality and you’ll get quality in return!
Contact us today to find out how we can you with your SEO goals!